Friday, October 16, 2009

Midterms and Stress: A Lovely Combination



By: Alexander Merriweather

Freshmen coming into college have some sort of tests to take in the middle of the semester. Some have midterms while some have a project. Last week I turned in an English essay and a digital poster to go with it. When I completely finished both of them, I was relived because I thought that I did a wonderful job on both of them. The point of my recent experience is that midterm week can be very stressful on students. Some schedules may have a midterm in all the classes or maybe none. If there is a midterm on the schedule, stress will be sure to follow.

Midterm projects and midterm tests are two different things. A midterm project is usually told in advance so the student can think and determine whether to ration out the work or to do it all on one specific day and continuously check. Waiting until the last minute can put so much stress on a student that way. This is because midterm projects usually take more than a day to finish. For example, it took me a complete week to finish my English project because I had to think of a great title, thesis statement, and images that match my point. Then I still have to write the essay one day and piece the poster on a different day. Midterm projects can either stress a student out or calm them down depending on how they use their time.

A midterm test is just that: a midterm test. It’s based off the information the student learned from the first half of the semester. Stress usually comes into many students heads because this is a test can probably counts 20% of their final grade. They have to do well on these tests so they can pass the class with an A. The stress that comes into the students is great though. All the studying proves to work though. It’s just that if a student doesn’t do well, it’s because of one or the other. They just need to study and take a break to do something that releases stress. When I study for a test, I take a little break and play video games to release it. As long as the student does both methods, they can pass the midterm with no problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment