Friday, October 23, 2009

Common College Problem: Lack of Motivation


Seth Reeves

One of the biggest problems many freshman college students will have to face is trying to stay motivated to do homework and study for exams when there are so many distractions on a college campus. Many people in high school were procrastinators because they could do it and still get by making good grades. However, once in college, students find that they are all on their own, and do not have anyone reminding them to finish their homework. With all the distractions that new students will face, finding a way to stay motivated will be a key to their college academic success.

I can speak from my own personal experience about procrastinating in high school. Especially in my last couple of years in high school, I became less motivated to study and finish homework assignments. I put things off until the last minute. I definitely created some bad habits. But once I got to college, I realized that I was too busy to procrastinate and had to change my ways. These were a few things I did that helped me get out of my poor habits:
1. Find an environment that allows you to focus without any distractions. (Dorm room or library)
2. Set a start time and end time for how long you will study and hold yourself to it.
3. Take short breaks so that you can focus during your given "homework time."
4. Start studying a little each day. This will soon become a routine and you will realize homework is not too bad. Also, you will see how much better you remember the material, then by just cramming one night before a test. Lastly, I believe that you should also try and come up with your own fun ways to get your homework done and stop becoming a procrastinator. Use your imagination and see where it takes you! You may be surprised on how much faster you finish your homework.

Try using these simple tips that have helped me a lot in my own experience. Even going to a schoool as academically demanding as Georgia Tech, I have found that the work is not too bad if you can just use your time wisely and not PROCRASTINATE!

No comments:

Post a Comment